Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Cool Tool #3: MindMeister

     For my concept mapping tool, I chose to explore a website called mindmeister.com.  The website is full of ways to organize thoughts and plan.  When I first got onto the site, I clicked something that said that I could take a "test drive".  I was hoping this would be a tutorial of some sort.  It was just taking me to a blank page so that I could fool around with all of the tools. I, personally, did not feel this was the best way for me to explore how to use this program.  I ended up signing up for the most basic version which is free.  This version seems to have everything I would need as a teacher or student.  I chose a template and just started from there.  The biggest negatives of the website are that it was hard to learn how to start and it did take me a little while to get all of the manipulations and icons down before it became a fluid process.  I did notice that they offer a little training which I feel would be worthwhile.  Some of the features of mindmeister that I enjoyed were that there were so many templates to inspire and help me get going.  As I got the hang of things I liked that there was spellcheck that helped me and also I could add pictures from the clip art they provided, a selection of icons or I could search google images from within the website.  There is such a range of customization that I could see students enjoying this program.  When it was time to export my mind map, I was given many choices of how the file should be saved which made it easier for me as well. 
     I found many uses for these mind maps for both student and teacher resources.

  1. Brainstorming an essay. Students can map out their details and ideas for each paragraph and add images to spark ideas as well as add links to sources.
  2. Creating a study guide.  Students can compile their notes and ideas into a organized study guide.  They can also add images of graphs and diagrams.
  3. Story maps. Students can map out the events of a story as a great comprehension tool. Pictures can be used for younger students. 
  4. Lesson planning.  Teachers can place the objective or standard in the middle and plan lessons and activities around it. 
  5. Graphic organizers.  Teachers can prepare graphic organizers for students to finish filling out or students can make their own as they read. 
  6. To do list. Teachers and students and can create an organized form that lists the tasks that need to be completed as well as details to go along with them. 
     There are so many ideas that can be brought to life with this website.  I would like to take the time to explore some of the other templates as well as see some of the other features that were not designed for education.  Additionally, I am curious to see how a student would do when placed in front of this program.  Since it took me a little bit of time to get the hang of things, I would be interested to see how a student approaches it. 
     If you would like sign up for mindmeister.com or try it out yourself, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment